Skip to main content
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What COVID protocols are currently in place at COM?
We encourage but do not require mask use on campus, especially for those who cannot or will not get vaccinated. We also ask that everyone continue to distance to the extent possible and maintain hygiene measures. As a reminder, individuals who are experiencing any signs or symptoms of illness, are asked to stay home as a measure to prevent the spread of the virus.

Do I need to apply or be admitted to COM in order to register for a CE class?
Is there a minimum age for students in Continuing Education classes?
Any adult 18 years of age or older, or an individual between the ages of 16 and 18 who has officially withdrawn from high school, is eligible to enroll in CE courses. Select courses may have other specific age requirements as indicated. High school students, 16 years of age or older, are permitted to enroll under the COM concurrent enrollment policy with approval from appropriate public-school officials. Students who are 13-15 years old may be permitted to enroll in CE courses that are not funded by the state, provided that a legal guardian registers in the same class and attends all classes with the student.

How do I register and pay?
All tuition and fees must be paid at the time of registration. There are several ways to register and pay for Continuing Education courses, including online, in-person, and by phone. Acceptable payment includes credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover). The college does not accept cash, checks, money orders, or American Express.

How do I create my profile?
For first-time users, click “Create New Student Profile” to create your own username, password, and profile. This step is required. If you have additional questions, please call 409-933-8586 for assistance.

How do I update my profile?
You may update your student profile at any time. After signing in, access the link entitled “My Profile” to change any of the information. Click “Edit” at the top of the page. You may then update any of your profile fields. When you are finished, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click “Submit.”

How do I register online?
Browse our catalog online by clicking the classes tab on the left menu bar. Peruse by content area, search by keywords in the class name or description, and/or search by course number or class ID. Full class descriptions can be found by clicking the class name. When you find a class you are interested in, click “add to cart” button, continue shopping and when you are finished, from the shopping cart, click “check out.” Read and agree to the class refund policy and click “check out” again. Complete your registration on our secure site with your credit card. You will receive a class confirmation and transaction receipt via email. You can also print your transaction receipt and class confirmation for your records.
How will I know if I got into a class?
Upon registration, you will receive a class confirmation and transaction receipt via email. However, if you do not receive the confirmation, you may call 409-933-8586 to confirm registration.
How do I print a receipt or confirmation?
To print a receipt, sign in and select "My Transactions" and locate the class. Under "Action", select "Print View" and print your receipt.
Can I transfer to a different class?
You may request to transfer to a different class or section prior to the first class of the course for which you are registered. One hundred percent of tuition already paid will be applied to the new course(s). Any additional tuition that is due must be paid when the transfer is processed. Any tuition due to you for a course transfer that results in a lower tuition amount will be refunded to the original form of payment.
Can I register for a class that is full?
All classes have a maximum class size and for specific reasons, that maximum number must be adhered to. If you wish to be considered for registration in a class that is currently full, you can request to be added to a waiting list by signing in online and clicking “Add to the Waiting List” link for the class that is full. If an opening becomes available, COM staff will call you to finalize your registration. There is no charge for tuition while on the waitlist.

What is the refund policy if I cannot attend as planned?
Upon registration, you must acknowledge and agree to the refund policy before payment is processed. Some courses have specialized refund policies with registration deadlines.
  •  Continuing Education Classes - Tuition and fees will be 100 percent refunded if cancelled before the first day of class. Refund requests may be made in person or by phone (409-933-8586). Refund requests must be received during regular business hours at least one business day before the calendar start date of the class. 
  • 50 Plus Classes - Tuition and fees will be 100 percent refunded if cancelled before the first day of class. Refund requests may be made in person at the Lifelong Learning office or by phone at 409-933-8461. Refund requests must be received during normal business hours at least one business day prior to the calendar start date of the class.
  • Community Education classes/workshops - Tuition and fees will be 100 percent refunded if a student cancels by the registration deadline. Refund requests may be made in person at the Lifelong Learning Office or by phone at 409-933-8461. Refund requests must be received during normal business hours.
  • Trip Tickets - Tickets are pre-purchased for trip events; therefore, they are non-refundable.
Can I request financial assistance for my class?

Financial assistance for certain classes is available through the following grants and scholarship funds. CLICK HERE to learn more about Continuing Education Grants or call us at 409-933-8586. 

  • Hazelwood Act/Legacy Program - College of the Mainland may waive tuition and some fees for Texas veterans, and their spouses and eligible children, who are no longer eligible under VA education benefits, were honorably discharged from the military after serving at least 180 days, entered the service with Texas as their home of record and have resided in Texas for at least 12 months prior to their registration date. CLICK HERE or call the Student Financial Services/Veteran Affairs Office at 409-933-8274 or 1-888-258-8859, ext. 8274 for more information. 
  • Texas Public Education Grants (TPEG) - Grants are available, based on need, to individuals who want to take occupation-related courses. Grants may be used for tuition only. 
  • Workforce Innovation And Opportunity Act (WIOA) - College of the Mainland is an approved vendor of the Gulf Coast Workforce Development Board and Houston-Galveston Area Council to provide vocational training for eligible participants in workforce programs under the federally funded Workforce Investment Act (WIOA). Participants qualifying for programs funded under WIA receive free tuition, fees, books and possibly uniforms, tools and financial assistance with transportation and childcare. Applicants may apply for services under the WIOA through their local Gulf Coast Careers office. Currently approved programs include CNC Machinist, HVAC, Industrial Pipefitting, Manual Machinist, Mechanical Maintenance Technician, Welding, Electrical, and Instrumentation Programs.
  • Lifelong Learning Scholarship Fund - The Lifelong Learning Scholarship Fund is designed to help students who wish to participate in Lifelong Learning classes but are unable to due to financial hardship. If eligible, a student may be awarded up to $45 tuition per semester to register for one class. Call 409-933-8461 for information on how to apply.
How will I know if my class has been cancelled?
Continuing Education makes every effort to maintain the schedule of classes as announced in our catalog. However, we reserve the right to change or cancel classes, when necessary, without previous announcement. All class changes will be reflected on this website. 
Classes with insufficient enrollment are canceled before the start of the class. Students will be contacted when a class is canceled due to low enrollment and a 100 percent refund will be processed automatically. Help avoid class cancellations by registering at least one week before the course start date.

What is a CEU credit?
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are nationally recognized to record satisfactory completion of certain approved occupation-related programs. One CEU is awarded for every 10 contact hours of instruction included in a specified continuing education class or activity. Successful completion is attendance-based unless otherwise noted. Ninety percent attendance is required for the successful completion of most courses. Some classes require 100 percent attendance. Transcript requests will be fulfilled through the National Student Clearinghouse. Service fees may apply. Reprints of CE certificates are available for $5.
Where can I get help with a course?
Please contact the Continuing Education department to get help with or ask questions about a course, course policies, payment information, refunds, or anything else related to specific courses or programs.
Can I purchase gift certificates for classes?
Gift Cards are available for purchase online for a dollar amount that can be applied to a class of the recipient’s choice.

How can I sign up to receive emergency school alerts?
COM main campus and off campus locations may close due to weather or other emergency situations. CLICK HERE and  register to receive weather-related alerts and emergency notifications,  

How do I find the Student Handbook?
CLICK HERE for the student handbook.
Can I audit a CE class? 
Continuing Education classes may not be audited.